The Sydney Harbour’s North Shore Line was built in two stages:
- Opened in 1890 connecting Hornsby on the Sydney to Brisbane rail line to St Leonards and
- Opened in 1893 connecting St Leonards via Waverton to Milsons Point on the east shore of Lavender Bay on the shore opposite Circular Quay.
It was built as part of a plan to open up the harbour’s north shore:
- first for trade (taking goods up-line to Hornsby) and
- then for commuters (taking people down-line to the city and up-line to their homes).
The Lavender Bay terminus was a transfer point for commuters connecting between trains and ferries. With the opening of the Bridge in 1932 it became obsolete.